Sunday, October 19, 2014


1. Why does the author, Nicholas Carr, feel like his mind is changing as a result of the Internet?
- The author, Nicholas Carr feels his mind is changing by the way he acts every day due to the internet. He feels that he is no longer able to read books and articles as easy as he once was. He feels his briain relies too much on the internet, and it is interferring with his ability to complete tasks.

2. How does research today compare with doing library research in the old days, twenty and more years ago? (I know you weren't around 20 years ago, but answer this based on what knowledge you have gathered about libraries in your lifetime).
- Research today is mostly based off of the internet while 20 years ago research was based off of books, that you would find at a library. majority of students use the Internet as their primary research tool. This is unfortunate as the Internet is sometimes in accurate, and students can find unofficial data.

3. How have Nicholas Carr's reading habits changed because of the Internet?
-  Nicholas Carr's reading habits have changed because he feels he can no longer get as engaged into his reading as he once could. He finds himself uninterested and incapable of having a certain interest to continuously read and the curiosity needed to continue the book/article. 

4. How is reading online different than reading a long article or book? Explain.
- Reading online is much different than reading a long article or a book. In a book, there is an ending to look forward to which makes you want to continue reading. While online, the answers are very straightforward and require little to no interest in the specific topic that you are researching. Reading online allows you to have limited engagement in the text.

5. Do you agree or disagree that our minds think like computers? Explain.
- I do agree that our minds think like computers. I think this is true because like computers, a persons mind can process multiple informational sources at one point. Minds are like computers because minds are filled with multiple facts and information on a specific topic/event. 

6. Do you agree or disagree that the computer "is subsuming most of our other intellectual technologies?"
-I agree that the computer is subsuming most of our other intellectual technologies. Instead of using a book or reading the newspaper, a student would much rather search the internet as it takes less effort and is easier to get the information. When reading, you are forced to engage yourself in the reading, while using the internet it is not required that you are actively involved in searching for answers. 

7. Why do you think The New York Times changed its format? Do you think it was a good idea or a bad idea? Why?
- The New York Times may have changed its format in order to gain the attention of more readers. This may be to interest more people and get them more readers. I think it was a good idea for the New York Times to change its format. Sometimes, change is good for companies that have been around for a long time. Companies need to adapt to the changing society around them. 

8. What does Nicholas Carr mean by "knowledge work?"
- Nicholas Carr means that "knowledge work" is having the ability to sit down and accurately complete a specific task. Also, describing how the brain is capable of completing these particiularly specific tasks without using the internet.

9. Do you agree or disagree that Google has been successful in its mission "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful?"
- I think google has been successful in its mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. This is because it is very easy to google information and have the ability to recieve multiple sources and choose which information they would like to use. The process of using google is also very organized as it has the sources organized by mostly popularity. 

10. How does Google's mission compare with a library's mission in light of the fact that there is no fiction or nonfiction section on the Internet, but there is a fiction and a nonfiction section in a library, and that all the books are organized on the shelves in a library, but "scattered on the floor" of the Internet?
- Googles mission is to make the internet accesible due to keywords. The results that come form googlemay be both inaccurate and accurate as there is no distinguishing characteristic such as nonfiction and fiction sections. While the mission of the library is to provide purely accurate information to the readers. 

11. Do you think it would be a good thing if your own brain and intelligence were "supplemented, or even replaced, by an artificial intelligence?" Why or why not?
- I think it would not be a good think if your own brain and intelligence was supplements by aritifical intelligence. I think this because the intellegence of a person is based on experience and personal knowledge, as opposed to purely factual evidence. The experiences of a person allows one to connect to their research topics on a different level, and allows them to get a better understanding of the topic. 

12. Do you think that the human brain is "just an outdated computer that needs a faster processor and a bigger hard drive?" Why or why not?
- I do not think that the human brain is just an outdated computer that needs a faster processor and a bigger hard drive. I think this because the human brain does not just consist of facts, dates, and information. The human brain consists of emotions, memories, and experiences that can not be found through researching on the computer or googling a question. 

13. What do you think about your own surfing habits, the links you click on and the pages you view, being an opportunity for "Google and other companies to collect information about you and to feed you advertisements?"

14. How do your surfing habits compare to reading a book? Do you agree or disagree that companies online, collecting data about us by what we click on and view, are using subversive tactics to discourage "leisurely reading," and "slow, concentrated thought?" Are you yourself driven to distraction while on the Web? How or how not?
- I would prefer using the computer rather than reading a book. I agree that companies are collecting data to use tactics to discourage reading and thought. I am driven to distraction while on the web. This is because I constantly switch to social media, and am distracted by advertisements as well. 

15. Do you agree with Socrates that the development of writing led to people using the written word as a substitute for the knowledge they carried around in their heads? Why or why not?
- I agree with Socrates that the development of writing led to people using the written word as a substitute for the knowledge they carried around in their heads. I agree with this because citizens use the knowledge in their heads to write books and articles in orderto allow others to gain the same knowledge and thoughts that they have. 

16. Do you think the Internet is doing the same thing? Why or why not? How or how not?
- I think the internet is not doing the same thing. I think this because the internet allows someone to believe only one thing and leaves little to no room for people to insert their opinions on a specific topic or event. I think the internet is doing this by making very known websites the top websites while searching, allowing for majority of people to click on the same popular website and believe the same popular belief. 

17. How do your own reading habits compare to what Nicholas Carr describes in this article?
- I share the same reading habits that Nicholas Carr describes in the article. I also find it hard to become interested in researching a topic through newspapers and articles because I know that it is easily accesible to gain knowledge through just researching a topic and clicking on a link. 

18. So, do you think Google really is making us stupid? Why or why not? How or how not?
- I do think google is making us stupid. By making it so easy to gain access to this information, then it makes people less likely to engage in reading a book or newspaper. This makes people learn less as they get the information they need, and then stop their research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment